Friday 22 August 2014

The Sea to Summit Trail.


On Monday I agreed to accompany a friend from out of town up the Sea to Summit Trail.
I like to hike, but he REALLY likes to hike. Probably my first mistake.  I was excited as I'd been wanting to do this all summer, and finally found someone who would attempt it with me. The Sea to Summit Trail takes you from the base of the new Sea to Sky Gondola, up to the peak. The guide book suggests it takes 3-5 hours. It took us three on the nose. I guess that's what you get when you hike it with a British Army Major. Stupid.

Seen as I'm writing this, it's clear I survived, but sweet baby Jesus, was it tough. I don't really want to do it again, but a small part of me does, as I want to know why I found it so challenging. Was it simply because I'd spent the previous day drinking champagne in the sun? Maybe. I'd like to think with the swimming, I'm in decent shape. The trail, however, had me thinking otherwise.

If you're planning on doing it, take at least 2L of water per person. I probably drank one and a bit on the trail, and definitely polished the rest off at the top. We passed a few people who hadn't brought enough water. It seems, most of us 'locals' are expecting something similar to the Chief or the Grouse Grind, but this is more than double the distance. Snacks and water are crucial. Even with Almonds, Grapes, and plenty of water, I was experiencing wobbly legs near the summit. What a baby hey?













Ironic...






As you can see from the photos, the reward is definitely in the view at the top. On a clear day, you'll find yourself surrounded by beautiful peaks, with a great view of Diamond Head and Black Tusk. There is a suspension bridge, and a cafe where you can enjoy a post-hike pint, overlooking the valley. I opted for ice cream instead, consuming it faster than I've eaten anything in my entire life.

I'll keep you posted, should I ever attempt this again. Let me know if you go, 
I'd like to hear what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment