Wednesday 30 January 2013

Cayenne-Rubbed Chicken with Avocado Salsa....and a diamond.

I realized I never told you this happened...




It's not my hand.


Nope.

I can't believe you thought that!


That would be the hand of my best friend Kristin. 


It's a big beautiful rock isn't it??

Okay, focus back here.

Kristin and I have been best friends since the first day of Kindergarten, and it was Kristin who was the star of the blog when she became my first London visitor in the fall. This engagement is a BIG deal. I'm so happy for her and her fiance, Laurent. They make a wonderful couple, and it's about time! I'm excited for the wedding, and Kristin is busy planning like a mad woman. It is however, very hard to be away from home when something so exciting is in the works in Vancouver.

Why am I suddenly telling you this? Well, tonight I made a recipe that Kristin used to make for me when we lived in the same apartment building in the West End. It's a recipe she found in one of those Martha Stewart 'Everyday Food' magazines that you see near the cashier in grocery stores (at least in Canada). Have you ever browsed through one of those? They are actually awesome. There's even an APP for your iphone. I digress...

Cayenne-Rubbed Chicken with Avocado Salsa: 

Ingredients:


  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (6 to 8 ounces each)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium red onion, finely diced **** I would actually use less or it's quite strong and finely diced is key!!!!
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 Hass avocado, pitted and cut into chunks

Method:

  • In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cayenne; rub all over chicken.
  • In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add chicken, and cook until browned on the outside and opaque throughout, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
  • Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine onion and lime juice; set aside. Just before serving, fold avocado chunks into onion mixture; season with salt and pepper. Serve chicken topped with salsa.
    K used to make it with Quinoa, but tonight I just grilled some veggies.

  • These avocados were small so I used 3.
    I grilled veggies, but honestly, it's better with a carb.





  • It looks better with Quinoa also...don't copy me!


    For the actual recipe on Martha's page, click here. We must give credit where credit is due.
  • 1 comment:

    1. Ooooh I like the look of the recipe, I'm pinning it straight away to do next week!
      Congratulations to your best friend as well, what a lovely ring
      Ibbs x
      http://lalangostaymi.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete